Greetings from Maureen at Cottage Panache Antiques


So glad you stopped by my blog!
Cottage Panache is currently going through some changes.
Soon, I will be offering items for purchase online. Special event sales will be held occasionally and will be posted here, on facebook and on my website:
http://www.cottagepanacheantiques.com/

Click here to visit the online shoppe!

Click here to visit the online shoppe!
Link to online blog shop

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Daddy Day

Father's Day Origination
The third Sunday of June is generally observed as Father's Day throughout the United States. Although an isolated church service in Fairmont, West Virginia, honored fathers in July 1908 at the suggestion of Jessica ("Baba") Clinton Clayton, it is Sonora Louise Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington who is most frequently credited with originating - in 1909 - the idea for a Father's Day observance that spread far beyond the confines of her own church. Her inspiration was her own father, William Smart, a Civil War veteran who had been widowed when his daughter and five sons were very young. Realization of the difficulties he had, and appreciation for his constant devotion to his family sparked Mrs. Dodd's desire to honor all fathers. At her urging the Spokane Ministerial Association sponsored the first Father's Day Celebration. This first celebration was held in Spokane on the third Sunday of June - the month of her father's birth - in 1910, with local ministers calling the attention of their congregations to the appreciation fathers deserved. William Jennings Bryan, complimented Mrs. Dodd on the inspiration for Father's Day , and remarked," too much emphasis cannot be placed upon the relation between parent and child." The observance of Father's Day did not spread rapidly - not, for instance, as rapidly as Mother's Day, whose celebration in this country predated it only slightly. Several people in various other parts of the United States also hit upon the idea of a Father's Day independently - though to this day Mrs. Dodd is credited with beginning the celebration. President Woodrow Wilson officially approved the idea of Father's Day in 1916. Harry C. Meek, president of the Uptown Lions Club of Chicago called upon both President Warren Harding and President Calvin Coolidge in unsuccessful attempts to have the day marked with issuance of a presidential proclamation. But, both were apprehensive about possible commercialization of the day. However, most state governors each year proclaim that Father's Day will be observed on the third Sunday in June in their states. Then in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson issued a Proclamation that Father's Day be observed on the third Sunday in June. On Father's Day in 1970 Mrs. Dodd, still living in Spokane, stressed the fact the one very important, timely, practical value attached to Father's Day was to provide an occasion for children to express appreciation of their fathers and for fathers to acknowledge their responsibilities to their children. God bless all Fathers past, and present.
Happy Father's Day Daddy, I love you and miss you. You taught me the values of kindness, gentleness, giving and sharing. From you I learned how to be humble and the art of forgiveness and turning the other cheek! You taught me how to fish and how to garden and the value of a dollar! I remember when you took me to my first auction and you bought me a pink vanity with three mirrors! I thought that was awesome! I wish all my children could have known you... and you them. I am sorry that I live so far that I may not place flowers upon your grave...I will love for always and for always... My Father you'll be.
Rest In Peace Daddy!
~Your Maureenie~

1 comment:

  1. We southern girls sure love our daddies! That was well written and I learned so much. Sweet tribute to your daddy.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome here!